The Sherman Pass road has been official open as an official news release from the Sequoia National Forest today. They also said the Blackrock Trailhead is open, which means users can access the Inyo side of the Golden Trout Wilderness from that entry point. No word yet on whether or not access down to Jordan Hot Springs is allowed though.
Roads and Trails
Opening slowly as the winter’s storms have left their mark
Kernville, Ca. June 26, 2019 – The Kern River Ranger District of the Sequoia National Forest announces partial openings of road systems across the Kern Plateau. Later season openings are due to the welcomed wet winter.
- Cherry Hill Road: Open to Horse Meadow Campground, Big Meadow, Pine Flat and Cannell Meadow. Be cautious of fallen trees and portions of trees extending into the roadway.
- Sherman Pass Road (#22S05): OPEN All the way across – west above Kernville through Kennedy Meadows and Hwy 395 to the east.
- Blackrock Trailhead: Open – NO WATER.
- Smith and Powell Roads: Open
- Monache Meadows: CLOSED
- Osa Meadow: Open
- Beach Meadow: Open
- Mahogany: CLOSED– active spring in the middle of the road.
Be advised some roads and trails have many trees down and are too wet for travel. Road and trail work has started on the district – information changes daily.
Please call the Kernville Ranger District Office, open 7 days a week, (760) 376-3781, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or the Blackrock Ranger Station, open Thursday through Monday, (559) 539-2607 #2276, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(Forest Highway 90 from Greenhorn is open to Johnsondale and Posey).