Fire restriction information was just released from the Sequoia National Forest. Here is what the order states.
PORTERVILLE, Calif, May 8, 2020 – The Sequoia National Forest will enact fire restrictions prohibiting campfires, stove fires, welding, or smoking on all public lands managed by the Forest below 5,000 ft. The restrictions starting Saturday, May 9, are due to a heavy grass fuel load, drying conditions, and established high wildland fire danger.
The Forest is continuing to experience tree mortality, affecting approximately 600,000 acres of forest land. “These conditions coupled with late winter precipitation have resulted in a heavy grass fuel load,” said Forest Supervisor, Teresa Benson. “The restrictions are deemed necessary to protect public safety and prevent human-caused wildfires.”
Effective May 9, and until further notice, the following restrictions are in effect below 5,000 ft:
- No Campfires or Stove Fires. As a reminder, all developed campgrounds are closed under the Regional Order.
- Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions but are allowed to use portable stoves and lanterns with shut-off valves using pressurized gas, liquid fuel, or propane.
- No Smoking is permitted, except within an enclosed vehicle.
- Operating an internal combustion engine off of properly designated roads or trails and welding are all strictly prohibited during the fire restriction period.
- Fireworks, exploding targets, tracer rounds, and other incendiary ammunition or devices are not allowed in the Sequoia National Forest and Giant Sequoia National Monument at any time. This includes sparklers or safe and sane fireworks.
Human-caused fires can be prevented. One less spark can mean one less wildfire. Do your part to prevent wildfires. To learn more, visit www.preventwildfireca.org/one-less-spark-one-less-wildfire.
Know Before You Go! For additional information regarding fire restrictions, please contact your local Ranger Station Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm or email SM.FS.SequoiaNF@usda.gov for current information.
- Kern River Ranger District 760-549-9533
- Western Divide Ranger District 559-920-0460
- Hume Lake Ranger District 559-791-5758
- Supervisor’s Office 559-920-1588